One of my favorite engagement presents was from my bestie BAG, she gave us a slow cooker. Now, as I have mentioned before MMB (the fiance) is the cook, and he is wonderful. He was actually very excited about this gift also. But I think, I can even handle making dinner in the slow cooker, I mean how hard can it be right?!
Do you use a slow cooker? What are your favorite recipes?
Tomorrow I am planning on making this Autumn Beef Stew:
Apple cider and a little bacon give this homemade beef stew great flavor. If you don't care for rutabaga, replace it with turnip, more potatoes or another root vegetable.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours
Total Time: 8 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean stewing beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (about 5 or 6 medium potatoes), diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced rutabaga
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Cook bacon, beef, and onions a large skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned and bacon is cooked. Put the beef and onions in the slow cooker with the bacon, beef broth, apple cider, potatoes, carrots, celery, rutabaga, bay leaf, rosemary, and pepper. Cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours. Combine flour with cold water to form a smooth mixture. Stir into the beef mixture, turn to HIGH, and continue cooking for 15 minutes longer.
Serves 4 to 6.
Serves 4 to 6.